- Canals, churches and gables — Amsterdam is a very photogenic city. Historically, it was one of the greatest trading cities during the Dutch Golden
- Museums and bikes — When I think of Amsterdam, two things come to mind: museums and bicycles. In the I AMsterdam tourist map, there is a listing of 39 museums. A friend told me that many people have more than one bike: a jalopy for day use and a fancy one for weekend use.
- City Library, Our Lord in the Attic and Oude Kerk — I was in Amsterdam over Christmas. The weather was pretty constant — overcast, drizzle, light rain, more rain. On the one day that the sun did make an appearance, the mood of the city almost became giddy. The city does have an amazing library, lovely architecture, and rich history.
- Free Amsterdam audio guides with maps by Rick Steves. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find three different audio tours with download-able maps. You should print the maps and take them with you for the trip.
- First time Amsterdam — top tips for a first visit from Lonely Planet.
- 20 free things to do in Amsterdam — by Lonely Planet.
- The Perfect Day in Amsterdam by Fodors.
- Amsterdam: beyond the smoke and red lights by Lonely Planet.
- Rick Steves Europe video on Amsterdam. (25 minutes long)